Benefits of Strength Training
We all know that exercise is good for us, but most of us don't realize all the ways in which strength training benefits our health, fitness & overall well-being.
Here are some of the most important benefits:
1. Makes you stronger and more fit by building lean muscle and strengthening connective tissue and tendons. This leads to improved motor performance and decreased injury risk.
2. Burns calories during & AFTER your workout! Your body continues to work hard as it rebuilds the muscle that was stressed during the workout. This is a process called "physiologic homework."
3. Strengthens metabolism because lean muscle requires many more calories on a daily basis than fat does. The more muscle on your body, the more calories you burn per day, every day!
4. Protects bone health by positively stressing bone, resulting in calcium phosphate deposition and thicker, healthier bones.
5. Develops better body mechanics. A good strength training routine brings you more in tune with your body and helps you improve your balance, coordination, posture & flexibility.
6. Helps prevent or alleviate a variety of ailments including osteoporosis, arthritis, heart disease, depression and type 2 diabetes.
7. Boosts energy levels and improves mood by increasing levels of the “feel good” chemicals, endorphins and serotonin.
8. Improves your daily life. When you're strong, it's easier to walk up stairs, carry groceries, pick up kids, reach for an item on a high shelf, etc. This sounds simple but becomes increasingly important as we age.
9. Makes you feel more competent & confident! It's empowering when you go from lifting 5 pounds to 8 pounds, or from pushups on your knees to full pushups. Over time you develop a sense of mastery & strength that boosts your confidence & self-esteem.